photo of mom with her son and daughter sitting on couch

    Children and Family Treatment and Support Services (CFTSS)

    These new mental health services, available with NYS Children’s Medicaid, give children (under age 21) and their families the power to improve their health, well-being and quality of life. These services strengthen families and help them make informed decisions about their care. Additionally, the services will help to prevent the need for emergency room visits, hospital stays or out of home placements. Services are provided in the least restrictive environment for the child or family. This could be in the home or in the community and include:

    • Other Licensed Practitioner 
      • Licensed Evaluation and Assessment
      • Crisis Intervention
      • Individual, Family or Group Therapy
    • Psychosocial Rehabilitation Services
      • Development of Social and Interpersonal Skills
      • Daily Living Skills
      • Community Integration
    • Community Psychiatric Supports and Treatment
      • Intensive Interventions (counseling)
      • Crisis Avoidance (counseling)
      • Intermediate Crisis Management (counseling)
      • Rehabilitative Psychoeducation
      • Strengths-Based Service Planning
      • Rehabilitative Supports

    Who can get these services?

    To be eligible for CFTSS, the child must be under 21, enrolled in Medicaid, and in need of help with social, emotional or behavioral health challenges. These services give children and their families the power to improve their health, well-being and quality of life at no additional cost to the family.

     How will these services help?

    These children’s services meet the individual needs of children and their families by:

    •       Identifying mental health needs early
    •       Providing support in the home and community
    •       Preventing the need for emergency room visits, hospital stays, or out of home placements

    Anyone who knows a child who may need these services, or a child who believes they personally need these services, can make a referral to a CFTSS provider. If your child is enrolled in a Health Home, you can also ask your Health Home Care Manager. Experts on staff will work with the child and family to determine which service(s) best meet the individual needs of the child.