Children and staff were fed for 50½ cents each per day, thanks to food donations from friends, government surpluses, and vegetables from the garden. The child-care program intensified, with staff meetings featuring speakers from related professions. The Board of Managers increased by seven women from around the county. Special contributions allowed 13 boys to attend camp, and another earned his way as an assistant counselor. Volunteers included a sewing group that contributed 820 hours in one year to clothing repair. A new oil heating system costing $7,000 replaced the original coal-burning furnace.
In 1946, with the war over, the Home decided once again not to keep boys beyond age 12 or admit girls over 13 years of age. Forty applicants from broken homes had to be turned away for lack of space. There were 72 children, and 500 bed sheets were purchased for $60.25. Children could now spend holidays with family and friends. For the first time, a part-time social worker was hired. $20,000 was needed for replacements and maintenance deferred by the war.
The year 1947 brought the centennial celebration of the founding of the Home. Local officials and friends attended the gala event in a period-decorated room complete with a period-dressed matron and children.
In the winter of 1949, the Home made an appeal for $10,000 to cover facility repairs. Beginning in November, and stretching into December, the Home received $12,672 in donations, over 25% more than the minimum amount necessary to better the Home’s facilities.
By the end of the decade, construction of a baseball diamond and a playground were complete.