Back to TimelineNext StoryPrevious Story
    vintage photo of the Children's Home

    Name Change

    The Home began a policy of camping out in tents for the whole summer in 1912, first at a berry farm near Freedom Plains, and later along the Wappingers Creek in Rochdale, where most children learned to swim. Neighbors entertained them with auto rides and ice-cream parties.

    In 1919, the name was changed to The Children’s Home of Poughkeepsie. At this time, the Board formed a committee to arrange for a new building “in the country.”