The Home purchased a school bus, its first vehicle, in 1930. More emphasis was placed on a home-like atmosphere: the assembly room was redecorated with comfortable chairs and couches, and a wading pool was constructed. The children lived in dormitories divided by gender and age, and had their own cubicles as private space. In the girls’ playroom were dolls and carriages along with a playhouse outside. The girls were taught how to cook meals while the boys learned how to garden. The nursery, full of ivory and pink spreads, delicately cared for the little ones. The children still wore uniforms consisting of blue knickers or skirts and middy blouses; but major changes were coming, along with a new director.